To create a new segment that is perpendicular to another segment, click Constrain Perpendicular on the Feature Construction toolbar and click the segment. As you move the pointer, the length of the segment can change, but not the angle. For instance, you might use this command to place a utility service line perpendicular to the main electric line.
Another way of making a perpendicular segment is to right-click and click Perpendicular. This limits the next segment to be perpendicular to the feature underneath your pointer where you right-clicked.
To cancel a sketch constraint, press the ESC key.
- These steps can be used to create vertices in either lines or polygons:
To create a vertex in a line
Click a line feature template in the Create Features window and click the Line tool .
To create a vertex in a polygon
Click a polygon feature template in the Create Features window and click the Polygon tool .
- Click the Straight Segment construction method on the Editor toolbar.
- Create at least one vertex.
- Click Constrain Perpendicular on the Feature Construction toolbar and click the segment.
- Click once to digitize the endpoint of the segment, or right-click and click Length to create the segment at an exact length.