The ArcCatalog application provides a catalog window that is used to organize and manage various types of geographic information for ArcGIS for Desktop. The kinds of information that can be organized and managed in ArcCatalog includes:
- Raster files
- Map documents, globe documents, 3D scene documents, and layer files
- Geoprocessing toolboxes, models, and Python scripts
- GIS services published using ArcGIS for Server
- Standards-based metadata for these GIS information items
- And much more
ArcCatalog organizes these contents into a tree view that you can work with to organize your GIS datasets and ArcGIS documents, search and find information items, and to manage them.
ArcCatalog presents this information in a tree view and allows you to select a GIS item, view its properties, and to access tools to operate on the selected item(s).
ArcCatalog is used to:
- Organize your GIS contents
- Manage geodatabase schemas
- Search for and add content to ArcGIS applications
- Document your contents
- Manage GIS servers
- Manage standards-based metadata