ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry is a component of the ArcGIS for Maritime platform and is available with ArcGIS Desktop. As an extension, the Bathymetry Solution builds upon the existing functionality of mosaic datasets and allows you to:
- Manage bathymetry datasets from a central geodatabase.
- Store and query gridded and vector bathymetry datasets and create composite surface models.
- Create and manage collections of bathymetry datasets.
- Manage custom metadata associated with any dataset formats as well as internal metadata for Bathymetric Attributed Grids (BAGs) from the Open Navigation Surface project for collections of datasets.
- Export data and metadata from composite surface models.
ArcMap is the main application interface used for working with Bathymetry Solution. In ArcMap, you can manage, visualize, and export bathymetry data using interactive windows and the geoprocessing framework. Geoprocessing tools are available in ArcCatalog and the Catalog window in ArcMap.
Bathymetry Solution includes the Bathymetry toolbar and several geoprocessing tools for working with bathymetry data.
The primary tools used to access data in Bathymetry Solution are accessible from the Bathymetry toolbar. The toolbar also includes administrative-level tools for Bathymetric Information System (BIS) administrators.
- Administrator-level users typically create and manage BIS databases. The Bathymetry toolbar includes tools for creating a BIS geodatabase from an existing, empty file or enterprise geodatabase. It also includes tools for managing connections to existing BIS geodatabases, changing BIS settings, and diagnosing issues with and optimizing an active BIS. While a database administrator might typically perform these tasks, these tools are available to all BIS users.
- Nonadministrator-level users will use the tools on the right half of the Bathymetry toolbar. These tools allow users to manage collections of datasets, add bathymetry data to the BIS, filter bathymetry datasets, and sort bathymetry datasets to create composite surface models.
Windows in the ArcMap interface
There are two main windows in Bathymetry Solution in ArcMap, the Explore Bathymetry window and the Compose Surface window. The main function of the Explore Bathymetry window is to filter bathymetry datasets based on metadata values. The main function of the Compose Surface window is to prioritize the display order of datasets and combine them according to specific rules.
Bathymetry Solution contains geoprocessing tools that are accessible from the Bathymetry Tools toolbox. The toolbox includes tools for automating the process of loading bathymetry datasets into a BIS with the Data Registration toolset, automating the process of saving a surface model with the Data Management toolset, exporting information such as depth points, data areas, and metadata from a surface model or BIS with the Data Export toolset, and thinning the density of a point feature class based on depth values with the Analysis toolset.
Integration with the Nautical Information System (NIS)
The Bathymetry toolbox includes several geoprocessing tools that link BIS data with the Nautical Information System (NIS), the ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting central geodatabase for managing all product features. The Export Points tool exports deconflicted depth points from a point surface model and stores them in a point feature class. These exported points can then be thinned to chart density using the Reduce Point Density tool. This will assist and complement the manual effort generally undertaken by a cartographer to preserve only those soundings needed for a nautical chart of a particular scale. These thinned soundings can then be adapted to the NIS schema or charting data models.