A geometric network is composed of connected edges and junctions along with connectivity rules. It represents common network infrastructure in the real world. Water distribution, electrical lines, gas pipelines, telephone services, and water flow data can be modeled using a geometric network.
In the same way, a network dataset is a logical network made of interconnected network elements (edges and junctions). Its most common application is in modeling transportation networks.
Schematic diagram generation and updating are managed by the ArcGIS Schematics builders.
- When working with geometric networks, the Standard builder allows generating schematic diagrams with minimal setup work and configuration. You can quickly generate schematic diagrams from any set of geometric network features that are selected in an ArcMap document after a selection or tracing operation.
- When working with network datasets, you can generate diagrams using one of the following two builders:
- Network Dataset builder—Generate schematic diagrams from any network analysis layer containing a performed route, closest facility, service area, or vehicle routing problem network analysis.
- Standard builder—Generate schematic diagrams from any set of network elements selected in the map that references your network dataset elements.
In this help book, you will learn about the generation and updating of Standard builder diagrams when working with geometric networks or network datasets, the way this builder operates, and its specifics.
To configure your diagram template based on the Standard builder, you must use the Schematic Dataset Editor utility. Configuring the Standard builder to build diagrams from network features in the Schematic Dataset Editor Help details the Standard builder parameters and the steps required to configure your diagram template with this builder to make it work from network features—that is, from GIS features organized into a geometric network or a network dataset.
- Quick-start guide for configuring the Standard builder to operate from GIS features organized into a geometric network
- Generating a diagram from network features
- Updating a diagram based on network features
- How does the Standard builder operate from network features?
- Configuring the Standard builder to build diagrams from network features