The Data Modification service action enables modification of fields in a data message through the use of a function you define. This function can perform calculations using the field values contained in an incoming data message as input. Based on the results of the calculations, field values in incoming data messages can be modified and replaced with output from the calculations. The replaced field values will appear in the features that are created from the data messages in the tracking layer. The function is only run for data messages that meet the trigger criteria you define.
- Start ArcCatalog or access the Catalog window in ArcMap.
- If you are not already connected to a tracking connection, double-click an available tracking connection to connect to it.
- Expand the tracking connection to see a list of all the available tracking services. Right-click the tracking service you want to apply the action to and click Properties. The Service Properties dialog box appears.
Alternatively, you can double-click the tracking service in the Catalog window.
- Click the Actions tab on the Service Properties form.
- Click the New Action button.
- Choose Data Modification Action in the Type of Action to Create panel.
- Click in the text box and type a name for the action, then click OK to launch the action parameters form.
- On the Data Modification Action Parameters dialog box, click the Edit Function button to bring up the Edit Function dialog box.
- Type a function into the text box using Data Modification Action Language.
- Click the Validate button to validate the function. If the function is valid, the OK button will become enabled. If the function is not valid, review the Data Modification Action Language documentation to create a valid function.
- Click OK. The function you entered now appears in the Function text box at the top of the Data Modification Action Parameters dialog box.
- Set the trigger for your action. Click the button in the How the action will be triggered panel to the desired option below and follow further instructions to set your trigger:
The action will always be triggered.
The action will be triggered based on attribute criteria. Learn how to set an attribute trigger.
The action will be triggered based on location criteria. Learn how to set a location trigger.
Attribute AND Location Query
The action will be triggered based on a combination of attribute and location criteria.
- When you have finished setting the trigger for the action, click OK to create the action.
- The new action appears in the list of service actions for the tracking service. If other service actions appear in the list, you can use the UP and DOWN ARROW buttons to put them in the order in which you want them to be applied to the tracking service. You can also enable or disable a service action in the list by checking or unchecking its check box.
- Click Apply or OK on the Service Properties dialog box to apply the changes.