You can connect to a Dameng database from an ArcGIS client. To do so, install and configure the DM client on your ArcGIS client machines.
Once the client is configured, create a database connection file. When publishing Dameng data from ArcMap to an ArcGIS Server site, register the database connection file with the site.
Connect from ArcMap
To connect from ArcMap to Dameng, install a supported version of the 32-bit DM client on the ArcMap machine and create a connection file in the Catalog tree.
Install the DM client
Obtain the 32-bit DM client from Dameng and install it on all ArcMap machines. Follow instructions provided by Dameng to install the client.
Connect to the database
Add a database connection using the Database Connection dialog box or Create Database Connection tool. The following steps describe using the Database Connection dialog box.
- Expand Database Connections in the Catalog tree in ArcMap or ArcCatalog and double-click Add Database Connection.
- Choose Dameng from the Database Platform drop-down list.
- In the Data source text box, type the name of the server where Dameng is installed.
- Choose Database authentication for the Authentication Type.
- Provide a valid user name and password in the User name and Password text boxes, respectively.
- Uncheck Save user name and password if you prefer not to save your login information as part of the connection; doing this can help maintain the security of the database. However, if you do this, you will be prompted to provide a user name and password every time you connect.
A file is created in \\<computer_name>\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop<release#>\ArcCatalog.
You can move the connection to another location; just be sure users and applications that need to make a connection have read access to the directory where you place the connection file.
If you use the data from this connection as the source for a service, such as a geoprocessing or geocoding service, you may need to place the connection file in a shared location on your network. See Make your data accessible to ArcGIS Server for more information about sharing a connection file.
Connect from ArcGIS Server
If you will be publishing Dameng data from ArcMap to an ArcGIS Server site or from ArcGIS Pro to your portal's federated ArcGIS Server sites and want the resultant services to use the data in your Dameng database, do the following:
- If ArcGIS Server is installed on a different machine than Dameng, install the DM client on the ArcGIS Server machine. If your site includes multiple machines, install the client on all ArcGIS Server machines.
- If ArcGIS Server is installed on a Linux server, edit the init_user_param.sh script on each ArcGIS Server machine to include information about the DM client and restart ArcGIS Server on each machine.
- Register your Dameng database with the ArcGIS Server site.
Install the DM client
Obtain the 64-bit DM client installation from Dameng and install it on all machines in your ArcGIS Server sites. Follow instructions provided by Dameng to install the client.
Alter the init_user_param.sh script (Linux only)
Once you have installed the database client files, alter the init_user_param.sh script installed with ArcGIS Server to reference the client files. You can access this script by browsing to the <ArcGIS Server installation directory>/arcgis/server/usr directory.
On most Linux operating systems, you must also create a link from the libodbcinst.so library version on your machine to libodbcinst.so.
- Ensure that the ArcGIS Server installation owner on each machine has at least read and execute permissions on the database client libraries.
- Open the init_user_param.sh script in a text editor.
- Remove the comment marks (#) from the lines beginning with export and provide the path to your DM client installation.
# -------------------------------------------------- # Modify this section to configure a connection to Dameng. # # ---------------------------------------------------------------- #export DAMENGDIR=<Dameng_InstallDir> #export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DAMENGDIR/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
- Save and close the script.
- The DM client requires the libodbcinst.so library. If you have a different version of the library, you must create a soft link to reference libodbcinst.so.
In this example, a link is created between libodbcinst.so.2.0.0 and libodbcinst.so.
ln -s libodbcinst.so /usr/lib64/libodbcinst.so.2.0.0
- After you have configured the init_user_param.sh on each machine in your ArcGIS Server site, run the startserver.sh script to restart ArcGIS Server.