You can create feature classes (spatial tables) in your database when you connect to it from ArcMap provided you have the required database permissions to create a table and your database supports a SQL spatial data type.
Follow these steps to create a feature class in a database from ArcMap or ArcCatalog:
- Start ArcCatalog or ArcMap and open the Catalog window.
- Create a connection to your database.
- Right-click the table, point to New, and click Feature Class.
- Type a name for the feature class.
Feature class names must start with a letter and cannot exceed the maximum number of characters the DBMS allows for table names.
- Choose the geographic entity type you want the table to store: either Polygon, Line, or Point.
- If you want your table to store measure values, check Coordinates include M values. Used to store route data.
- If you want your table to store three-dimensional data, check Coordinates include Z values. Used to store 3D data.
- Click Next to proceed to the next dialog box.
- Choose a coordinate system for your data.
You can browse the folders to find the coordinate system you want, or use the search to find it.
- Click Next.
- Define the fields for your feature class.
All feature classes must contain a unique identifier field and a spatial field. Therefore, ArcGIS automatically adds an ObjectID and shape fields to the feature class. The ObjectID value will be populated automatically if you load data into the feature class through ArcGIS or insert records by editing a feature service that contains the feature class.
- Click the next blank row in the Field Name column and type a name.
- Click in the Data Type column next to the new field's name and choose a data type from the drop-down list.
- Optionally, you can create an alias for this field by clicking in the Alias field under Field Properties and typing an alias.
- If you don't want any null values stored in the field, click the field next to Allow NULL values and choose No from the drop-down list.
- Repeat steps a through d for each field you want to add to the feature class.
- Click Finish to create the feature class.