Available with Standard or Advanced license.
Locks are applied to geodatabase objects to help ensure data integrity. For example, if someone is editing the data in a table, a schema lock is placed on the table so the owner cannot change the table's schema while someone is editing the data.
Which locks you can see from an ArcGIS Desktop client depends on whether you are a dataset or version owner, or the geodatabase administrator. Dataset and version owners can view locks for the items they own; geodatabase administrators can view all locks, and disconnect users holding locks when necessary.
View locks on your datasets and versions
If you need to see who is holding a lock that is preventing you from altering the schema of a dataset you own or deleting a version you own, you can view a list of these locks from the Manage item on the context menu of the dataset in ArcMap or ArcCatalog.
- Start ArcMap or ArcCatalog and connect to the geodatabase as the dataset or version owner.
- Right-click your dataset, point to Manage, then click Locks.
The Locks list opens, and you can see the locks for datasets and versions you own. The list is initially filtered to show locks only on the dataset or version to which you are presently connected.
- If you need the lock released, either contact the user identified in the list as holding the lock and ask him or her to close their connection to the version or dataset, or contact your geodatabase administrator.
Manage geodatabase locks
Geodatabase administrators can see who is holding schema, version, and state locks for all items in the geodatabase using the Locks tab of the Geodatabase Administration dialog box. The geodatabase administrator can also remove the connections that are holding locks to free the resource for use. Note that you cannot remove an individual lock; you can only disconnect the user, thereby removing all locks held by that user.
- Start ArcMap or ArcCatalog and connect to the geodatabase as the sde user.
- Right-click the database connection in the Catalog tree, point to Administration, click Administer Geodatabase, then click the Locks tab.
The Locks list opens, and you can see all locks on all objects in the geodatabase.
Use the drop-down menus at the top to filter by object name, lock type, or lock owner.
- Contact the user who holds the lock that needs to be released and ask him or her finish the transaction and disconnect from the geodatabase. If the person is gone for the day and the lock needs to be released immediately, you can disconnect the user.
- If necessary, right-click the lock and click Disconnect User.