Available with 3D Analyst license.
When you want to create features of a terrain dataset, you must first convert the desired area of the terrain dataset to a TIN. The components of the converted TIN can then be converted into 3D feature classes. Use these 3D features for your visualization or analytic needs.
- Start the Catalog window and enable the geoprocessing tools in the view.
- In the Customize menu, choose Extensions and make sure that the 3D Analyst box is checked.
- Click 3D Analyst > Conversions > From Terrain and double-click Terrain To TIN to open the Terrain To TIN geoprocessing tool.
- Populate the fields.
- For Input Terrain, enter the source terrain dataset.
- For Output TIN, specify the location to which this file-based surface will be generated.
- Optionally, set the Pyramid Level Resolution to use for the conversion process.
The Pyramid Level Resolution option allows you to choose any one of the pyramid levels associated with the terrain dataset to be used for the TIN.
- Optionally, specify a number in the Maximum Number of Nodes dialog box.
- Click OK and execute the tool.
- Refer to the geoprocessing tools listed in the following topic to complete the conversion process: Converting TIN surfaces to features.