The single-zone map grids are meant for areas of interest (AOI) that contain only one universal transverse Mercator (UTM) zone and have only one coordinate system. The dual-zone map grid is used when a map's area of interest is within one kilometer of another UTM zone. In these instances, two coordinate systems, one primary and one ancillary, are required. Zipper grids are created when the AOI for a grid contains two converging UTM zones.
The Make Defense Grids and Graticules geoprocessing tool can be used to generate each type of grid. The tool automatically chooses the correct grid template XML file based on a grid type and the selected AOI's location. For example, if you select an AOI completely within UTM zone 10 and choose a TLM50 grid type, the tool will automatically choose the TLM50_Single XML grid template.
Grid template XML files are installed with Esri Defense Mapping.
- Start ArcMap.
- Add a feature layer that represents the areas of interest (AOIs) for the map sheets that will be used for map grid generation.
- Select a single AOI that will be used for grid generation.
- Click the ArcToolbox button on the Standard toolbar.
The ArcToolbox window appears.
- Browse to Defense Mapping Tools > Cartographic Data.
- Double-click the Make Defense Grids and Graticules tool.
The Make Defense Grids and Graticules dialog box appears.
- Click the Input Area of Interest drop-down arrow and choose the layer that contains the area of interest.
- Click the Grid Type drop-down arrow and choose a grid type.
The Grid Template (XML) text box automatically populates with the correct grid XML template path and file. You can optionally change the grid XML template by clicking the browse button .
The Primary Coordinate System and Ancillary Coordinate System text boxes are automatically populated.
- Click the browse button next to the Workspace text box and browse to the workspace that is going to store the grid features.
- Click the Feature Dataset drop-down arrow and choose a feature dataset that will store the grid features.
An anno mask name that includes the name of the feature dataset is automatically added to the Anno Mask Name text box.
- Optionally define a custom name for the grid by doing the following:
- Uncheck the Use Grid Name Field check box.
- Type a name for the grid in the Grid Name String text box.
- Optionally change the primary or ancillary coordinate system by clicking the properties button .
- Optionally change the reference scale by typing a new value in the Reference Scale text box.
- To optionally change the mask margin, type a new value in the Anno Mask Margin text box and click the drop-down arrow to change the unit of measure.
- Optionally change the anno mask name listed in the Anno Mask Name text box.
- Optionally check Configure data frame and layout using grid settings. This allows the tool to update the data frame and layout using the grid settings.
- Click OK.
The grid components are created in the feature dataset specified. The progress of the grid creation is displayed in the Make Defense Grids and Graticules window.
- Click Close.