Most maintenance jobs require you to import Vector Product Format (VPF) data. To import Digital Nautical Chart (DNC) VPF data correctly, create your geodatabase with the created DNC-specific feature classes, the created Ecrtext annotation feature class, and the defined topology. This configuration has already been done for you in the available four scale-specific geodatabase templates: Harbor, Approach, Coastal, and General.
Each feature class in the DNC schema contains the Library_Chart_Type field, which identifies the DNC library scale of the feature data. When loading data using the DNC To Geodatabase tool, the Library_Chart_Type value automatically populates according to the library name. The DNC To Geodatabase tool accomplishes populating this value for you.
If you choose to load data via an alternative method, this attribute field needs to be manually populated in an edit session after loading completes.
You can use the DNC To Geodatabase tool to import VPF feature classes into geodatabase feature classes. This geoprocessing tool is available in the Nautical Tools toolbox.
- Start ArcMap.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Extensions and verify that all applicable extensions are checked.
You need Production Mapping and Maritime Charting.
- Open the Catalog window.
- Browse to Toolboxes > System Toolboxes > Nautical Tools > DNC > DNC To Geodatabase to show the toolbox contents.
- Double-click the DNC To Geodatabase tool.
The DNC To Geodatabase dialog box appears.
- Click the browse button next to Input VPF Features.
The Input VPF Features dialog box appears.
- Browse to the location of the workspace that contains the VPF data.
The VPF data can be imported into the geodatabase from specific layers, or a folder that contains one or more libraries. Point, line, and polygon features can be imported. If a folder contains multiple libraries, all libraries import into the same geodatabase.
- Click Add.
- Click the browse button next to Input Target Geodatabase.
The Input Target Geodatabase dialog box appears.
- Browse to the location of the geodatabase where the VPF data will be imported.
- Click Add.
- Click OK.