You can merge two or more line events using the Merge Events widget available in the Roadway Characteristics Editor. Upon successful execution, the tool merges multiple adjoining events into an existing target event. All the input events, except the target event, retire. The merged event acquires the lowest value from the From Measure field and highest value of the To Measure field from the input events by default. If a gap exists between the input events, the gap is bridged in the merged event. You can edit the attributes of the merged layer prior to committing the merge. Use the following steps to merge events in the Roadway Characteristics Editor.
With reference to the graphic below, if two events are getting merged and the From Measure of the starting event (event 1) and the To Measure of the ending event (event 2) have referent offset values, then the resulting merged event (event 3) will retain the referent offset values as its From Measure and To Measure.
- Open a web browser and navigate to Roadway Characteristics Editor.
- On the Edit tab, in the Edit Events group, click the Merge Events button.
The Merge Events dialog box appears.
- In the Merge Location section, click the Event Layer drop-down arrow and select an event layer on which you want to work.
- The LRM to which the event is registered is selected automatically in the Network (LRM) parameter, but you can select the LRM using the drop-down list.
- Enter a route ID on which the events to be merged are located in the Route ID text box or use the Select a Route on the Map tool to pick the route from the map.
- Next, use the Select by Bounding Box tool to draw a box on the map to select the events to be merged.
- The records/attributes of the selected events appear in the Event Records box.
- In the Merge Result section, select the Target Event ID using the Target Event drop-down list.
All the records shown in the Event Records area will be merged to the target event.
- The Start date defaults to today's date, but you can select a different date using the date picker.
The end date is optional.
- The estimated merged event is displayed in the Merge Result table.
You can edit the fields in white to make any changes in the merged result. All the records shown in the Event Records area will be merged to the Target Event. The fields in gray are uneditable.
- Click Save to merge the records.