The Schematic API can be used to develop custom components and implement specific schematic functions. These functions can then be used to compute attribute functions. Before creating the desired attribute functions, the custom component must be referenced in the schematic dataset. The steps below explain how to add an external reference in a schematic dataset:
- Edit your schematic dataset within Schematic Dataset Editor.
- If the schematic dataset resources are not arranged in a tree view in the Schematic Items window, click Views in the Schematic Dataset Editor toolbar and click Project Tree.
- Right-click the External References entry in the Dataset Editor tree and click New External Reference.
A new Properties tab for the new external reference automatically displays on the Editor Window at the right:
- Type the class module name of the COM component you want to be referenced in the schematic dataset in the Class Identifier list.
- You can type the ProgID of the desired class module.
- You can also type the desired class name using the following format: <NameSpace>.<ClassName>, where NameSpace is the name of the COM library and ClassName is the name of the class module in that library.
- Click OK at the bottom on the Properties tab to validate.
An entry for the newly created external reference appears in the Dataset Editor tree under the External References main entry:This reference is stored in the user profile. It can then be used to create any Function schematic attribute. When the class module is used by function schematic attributes, those attributes are listed in the Attributes using this reference section: