You can delete attributes at any time. Deleting attributes doesn't cause their related fields in the schematic database to be automatically removed but breaks the link between these fields and the attributes that have been deleted. This means that, even if the related field in the database is kept, this field will be not updated anymore during diagram updates, and where the deleted attribute was used to label or categorize the schematic features in schematic diagrams, this may impact the representation of those schematic features.
- Edit your schematic dataset within Schematic Dataset Editor.
- If the schematic dataset resources are not arranged in a tree view in the Schematic Items window, click Views in the Schematic Dataset Editor toolbar and click Project Tree.
- Click the entry related to the schematic attribute you want to delete in the Schematic Dataset Editor tree and click Delete.
The attribute entry is automatically removed from the Schematic Dataset Editor tree
- Click Save on the Schematic Dataset Editor toolbar.
For a schematic attribute whose values were stored in a field in its related schematic diagram class or schematic feature class, deleting the attribute doesn't automatically delete that related field. If you want to also delete this field from the schematic dataset, you need to exit Schematic Dataset Editor and operate as follows:
- Make sure no schematic diagram in the schematic dataset is open.
- Start ArcCatalog and expand the schematic dataset in Catalog tree.
- Right-click the schematic dataset in Catalog tree.
- Click Show/Hide Schematic Classes.
- Then, if the newly deleted attribute was configured on a schematic diagram template, do the following:
- Right-click the related schematic diagram template entry.
- Click Properties.
The Schematic Diagram Template Properties dialog box opens.
Or, when the newly deleted attribute was configured on a schematic feature class:
- Expand any diagram template with which the schematic feature class where the attribute has been newly deleted is associated.
- Right-click that schematic feature class entry.
- Click Properties.
The Schematic Feature Class Properties dialog box opens.
- Then, in both cases, click the Fields tab.
- Select the line corresponding to the field you want to delete.
- Press DELETE.
- Click Apply.
- Close the Schematic Diagram Template Properties or Schematic Feature Class Properties dialog box.