Any schematic diagram template is designed to generate a particular type of schematic diagrams containing a set of expected types of schematic features. For example, in the rail transportation world, a schematic diagram template can be defined for a schematic of the national main lines, a second template for the regional lines, and a third template for internal diagrams (inside plants) of the stations.
Specifying the expected type of schematic features contained in diagrams based on a schematic diagram template is specifying the type of objects the schematic builder that implements those diagrams is supposed to work with. Then, from the context set by users when they ask the diagram generation (for example, from a set of features currently highlighted in a map document, from the result of a network analysis currently highlighted in a map document, and so on) , the builder is able to analyze this context and generate the schematic features expected in the diagram.
For all predefined schematic builders provided with Schematics, the schematic features built by the schematic builder during any diagram generation are put in schematic feature classes in the schematic dataset. These schematic features are stored in these schematic feature classes for the life of the diagram. Then, when Schematics displays the generated diagram, it queries the schematic features from these schematic feature classes.
Schematic Dataset Editor offers several ways to define the schematic feature classes for a schematic diagram template.
- Using the New Schematic Feature Class function
- Using the Import From Feature Layers function
- Using the Import From Feature Classes/Object Tables function
- Using the Automatic schematic feature classes creation option in the builder properties
Each of these ways of working is detailed in a specific topic available in the Managing schematic feature classes help book.
- Creating a schematic feature class using the New Schematic Feature Class command
- Creating schematic feature classes using the Import From Feature Layers command
- Creating schematic feature classes using the Import From Feature Classes/Tables command
- Creating schematic feature classes using the Automatic schematic feature classes creation option on the builder properties page
- Associating schematic feature classes with a schematic diagram template
- Defining a default node schematic feature class