The Domains property page can be used to delete an attribute domain from the geodatabase or modify an existing domain.
When a new domain is created, the owner of that domain—that is, the user who created it—is recorded. Only the owner of an attribute domain can delete or modify it. This only applies to enterprise geodatabases; in file or personal geodatabases any user can delete or modify a domain. The Domain Properties dialog box lists the owner of each domain when connected to enterprise geodatabases.
Domains can be associated with particular fields for a feature class or table or for a subtype of a feature class or table. While a domain is being used by a table or feature class, it can't be deleted, but it can be modified.
You can modify domains by selecting them on the Domains Properties dialog box.
The following properties can be modified:
- Domain name
- Max and min values for range domains
- Codes associated with coded value domains
- The Description field
- Split and Merge policies
The domain type or field type cannot be modified.
Modifying domains in subtypes must be done from the subtype tab in a feature class' Properties dialog box.
- In the Catalog tree, right-click the geodatabase and click Properties.
- Click the Domains tab.
- Click the domain you want to delete by clicking the left tab in the grid.
- Press the Delete key.
- Click Apply to delete the domain from the geodatabase, or click OK to delete the domain and close the dialog box.
- About maintaining attribute integrity while editing
- Browsing the domains of a geodatabase
- Browsing the attribute domains of a geodatabase from a feature class or table
- Creating a new attribute range domain
- Creating a new coded value domain
- Associating default values and domains with tables and feature classes