With the Image Analysis window in ArcMap, you can display a shaded relief from your DEM. This combines a hillshaded version of the DEM and the same DEM with a color ramp applied.
- Click the Add Data button to add a DEM to ArcMap.
- To view the Image Analysis window, click Windows on the Main menu, then click Image Analysis.
- Click the layer of elevation data in the Image Analysis window.
- Click the Image Analysis Options button , click the Hillshade tab, then adjust the illumination properties to be applied.
- Click the Shaded Relief button in the Processing section of the window.
This adds a temporary raster dataset layer to the table of contents.
- To change the color ramp, click the newly added layer in the Image Analysis window, then click the color ramp drop-down arrow in the Processing section and select a different color ramp.
The new color ramp will be applied to the selected layer.
- If you want to make adjustments to the illumination, do the following:
- Right-click the raster layer in the table of contents and click Properties.
- Click the Functions tab.
Functions are added within a mosaic dataset and by the temporary raster layers created from the Image Analysis window. They are used to define processing, which is applied on the fly.
- Right-click Shaded Relief Function and click Properties.
- Click the Shaded Relief tab and edit the properties.
- Click OK to close the Raster Properties Function dialog box and click OK again to close the Layer Properties dialog box.