- Ensure that you have the Maplex Label Engine enabled and that you have an abbreviation dictionary either created or loaded.
- On the Labeling toolbar, click Labeling > Abbreviation Dictionaries.
- Click the Dictionary Name drop-down arrow and choose the dictionary you want to append to.
- Click Options.
- Click Append From File if you want to append from a dictionary file.
- Navigate to the location where the abbreviation dictionary is saved.
- Click the dictionary file or table.
- Click Open.
- Click OK.
Click Append From Database Table if you want to append from a database table.