You can use any of the text tools on the Draw toolbar to add graphic text to your layout. Use the Insert menu on the main toolbar to add dynamic text to the layout.
- Make sure you are in layout view.
- If the data frame has focus (this is indicated by a hatched outline around the data frame), remove it by clicking the Select Elements button and clicking somewhere on your layout outside the data frame.
- Use any of the text tools on the Draw toolbar to add new text to the layout.
- Optionally, click Insert > Text to add text to the layout.
- Optionally, click Insert > Title, Insert > Dynamic Text, or Insert > Scale Text to add dynamic text to the layout.
Dynamic text is placed on a map layout and changes dynamically based on the current properties of the map document, data frame, or Data Driven Pages.