- Enable the Maplex Label Engine.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Label Position tab.
- Optionally, if using the Regular Placement style and either the Offset Straight or Offset Curved positions, click the Options button and check the Allow stacked labels to straddle lines check box. This will place stacked labels on either side of the line feature instead of offset to one side.
- Optionally, check the May place label horizontal at secondary offset check box.
- Click Label Offset.
- Type a distance to offset the labels from the lines.
- Click the Units drop-down arrow and choose the units that you want to measure the offset.
- Click the Constrain Offset drop-down arrow and click an offset constraint.
- Optionally, check the Measure offset from feature geometry check box.
- Optionally, type a minimum and maximum value for the secondary offset value. The units used are the same as for the primary offset.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
This distance is measured in map units or in page units (millimeters, inches, or points).