Like the Standard Label Engine you can use label expressions with the Maplex Label Engine to adjust the formatting of your labels.
The Maplex Label Engine provides you the additional ability to control the white space that is used in your label.
The Remove extra spaces from label option will remove additional space characters from the label text. These extra spaces would include all preceding, succeeding, and interior space characters. If the option is disabled, the spaces will be used for formatting, for example, allowing you to indent text within a stacked label.
The Remove extra line breaks from label option will remove additional line breaks from the label text. If the option is disabled, multiline spacing will be possible within a stacked label.
- Enable the Maplex Label Engine.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Click a label class in the Label Classes list.
- Click the Expression button to open the Label Expression dialog box.
- Click the Expression tab and specify your label expression.
- Click the Maplex tab and specify your options for the usage of white space in your label expression.
- Check Remove extra spaces from label to remove all space characters from the label. The default is checked.
- Check Remove extra line breaks from label to remove all extra carriage returns from your label. The default is unchecked.
- Click OK on each of the dialog boxes.