- Ensure that you have the Maplex Label Engine enabled and that you have enabled label stacking.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Fitting Strategy tab.
- Check Stack label.
- Click Options.
- Click the Label Alignment drop-down arrow and click the alignment constraints that you want to apply to your labels.
- Check or uncheck the Visible check box.
If it is unchecked, the stacking character is not visible and is removed from the stacked label. The character is only removed if it is used to stack a text string.
- Check or uncheck Forced Split.
If it is checked, all the labels are split at the stacking character whether or not there is enough space for the label on one line.
- Check or uncheck Split After.
If it is checked, the label is split after the stacking character.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.