The Maplex Label Engine applies label-fitting strategies in the order that they are listed on the Fitting Strategy tab. You can control the order in which the label-fitting strategies are applied to the placement of the label by reordering the list of strategies on the Strategy Order dialog box. The Maplex Label Engine attempts to place the labels according to this strategy order, but if an increased number of labels can be placed by changing the preferred strategy order, the label engine applies a new order.
- Enable the Maplex Label Engine.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button. The Placement Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Fitting Strategy tab.
- Click the Strategy Order button.
- Click the label-fitting strategy you want to move up or down in the list.
- Use the Up and Down arrows to either promote or demote the value in the list.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
Although the steps are the same, the dialog boxes for point, line, and polygon layers differ.
You can select multiple label-fitting strategies at the same time by holding the SHIFT key.