Saving a geodatabase connection creates a persistent connection in the Database Connections folder of the Catalog tree in ArcGIS Desktop.
One reason you might do this is to quickly connect to a version of a geodatabase other than the default. The following steps explain how to save a connection to a specific version of a desktop or workgroup geodatabase.
- Start ArcMap, open the Catalog window, and connect to the database server and geodatabase for which you want to save a database connection.
- If you need to change to a different version of the geodatabase, do the following:
- Right-click the geodatabase and click Change Version.
- Choose the transactional version to which you want to save a connection and click OK.
- Right-click the same geodatabase and click Save Connection.
A connection to the geodatabase now appears in the Database Connections folder. The default name of the connection under the Database Connections node is Connection to <instance_name>. You can right-click the connection and click Rename to change the name of the connection.
If the connection is to a workgroup geodatabase, you can now register the geodatabase with a GIS server. If you set a specific transactional version, you will always connect to that version when using this database connection file.