You can use a service definition file to publish a service to an ArcGIS Server site from the Catalog window in ArcMap or ArcCatalog.
Follow these steps to publish a service definition file from ArcMap.
- In the Folder Connections in the Catalog tree, browse to the service definition file you want to publish.
- Right-click the service definition file and choose Publish as a Service.
- From the Connection drop-down list, choose the ArcGIS Server site to which you want to publish.
- Only default clusters are supported, so leave Cluster set to default.
- Either keep the default Service Name, or type a new name for the service.
The name cannot be more than 120 characters long and may contain only alphanumeric characters and underscores.
- By default, the service is published to the ArcGIS Server folder defined in the service definition file. To store the service in a different ArcGIS Server folder, choose that folder from the drop-down list or create one.
- If you are signed in to ArcGIS Online or an Enterprise portal, you can share the service with ArcGIS Online or the portal when you publish. Follow these steps to create an item for the service in your ArcGIS Online or Enterprise portal:
- Check Register the service with <ArcGIS Online organization> when published or Register the service with <ArcGIS Enterprise portal> when published.
- Click Next.
- Choose how you want to share your service.
For a description of these options, see Setting map service properties.
- The service starts by default. If you don't want the service to start when publishing finishes, uncheck Start service immediately.
You can sign in to ArcGIS Server Manager and start the service when you need it.
- Click Finish to publish.
Your service is now running on the ArcGIS Server site you specified. If you chose to start the service, other users and clients on your network can start using the service. If your ArcGIS Server administrator has allowed web access to the service, your service is also now available on the web. If you shared the service with ArcGIS Online or an ArcGIS Enterprise portal, an item (or items, depending on the type of service you published) is created in your organization.