This document is archived and information here might be outdated.  Recommended version.

IFeatureEdit2.SplitWithUpdate Method (ArcObjects .NET 10.8 SDK)
ArcObjects Help for .NET developers > ArcObjects Help for .NET developers > ArcObjects namespaces > Geodatabase > ESRI.ArcGIS.GeoDatabase > Interfaces > IF > IFeatureEdit2 Interface > IFeatureEdit2.SplitWithUpdate Method
ArcGIS Developer Help

IFeatureEdit2.SplitWithUpdate Method

Split the feature by updating the split feature and creating new feature(s) for the smaller portion.

[Visual Basic .NET]
Public Function SplitWithUpdate ( _
    ByVal Geometry As IGeometry _
) As ISet
public ISet SplitWithUpdate (
    IGeometry Geometry
HRESULT SplitWithUpdate(
  IGeometry* Geometry
Geometry [in]

Geometry is a parameter of type IGeometry*

Product Availability

Available with ArcGIS Engine, ArcGIS Desktop, and ArcGIS Server.


SplitWithUpdate divides polylines by points or polygons by polylines, other kinds of split geometries are not supported (see IGeometry::GeometryType property for an enumeration of geometry types). Unlike the IFeatureEdit::Split method, SplitWithUpdate does not delete the original feature and insert two new features. When a feature is split, its geometry is modified and a new feature, with a new ObjectID, is inserted comprised of the remaining geometry. The geometry of the original feature will be modified to represent the largest section of the split geometry. For example, if a polyline is split at 60% along its length, the original feature's geometry will be modified to represent the 60% section and a new feature will be created with a geometry representing the remaining 40%.

You can define a policy on how the other attribute values of the new features are populated; this can be done with ArcCatalog or by using the Domain and Attribute Rule objects.

It is not necessary to call SplitAttributes after calling Split, this is done automatically.

All edits to features that participate in a Topology or Geometric Network must be performed within an edit session and bracketed within an edit operation.

See Also

IFeatureEdit2 Interface