ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry is a component of the ArcGIS for Maritime platform and is available with ArcGIS Desktop. As an extension, it builds upon the existing functionality of mosaic datasets to allow for the following:
- Manage bathymetric data from a central geodatabase
- Store and query gridded and vector bathymetric datasets and create custom surfaces from them
- Create and manage collections of bathymetric datasets
- Manage custom metadata associated with any dataset formats as well as internal metadata for Bathymetric Attributed Grids (BAGs) from the Open Navigation Surface project for collections of datasets
- Export data and metadata from bathymetric surfaces
ArcMap is the main application interface for working with Bathymetry Solution. Within ArcMap, you can manage, visualize, and export bathymetry data using interactive windows and the geoprocessing framework. Geoprocessing tools are also available within ArcCatalog and the Catalog window in ArcMap.
Bathymetry Solution includes the Bathymetry toolbar and several geoprocessing tools for working with bathymetry data.
The primary tools you will use to access data with Bathymetry Solution are accessible from the Bathymetry toolbar. The toolbar includes some administrative-level tools that typical users will not likely need and includes tools for regular users:
- Administrator-level users typically create and manage BIS databases. The Bathymetry toolbar includes tools for creating a Bathymetric Information System (BIS) geodatabase from an existing, empty enterprise or file geodatabase. It also includes functionality that manages connections to existing BIS geodatabases, changing BIS settings, and diagnosing any issues with or optimizing an active BIS. While a database administrator might typically perform these tasks, the tools are available to all BIS users.
- Regular users will use the tools on the right half of the Bathymetry toolbar. These include tools that manage collections of datasets, adding bathymetry data to the BIS, filtering bathymetric datasets, and sorting bathymetric data to create custom surfaces.
Windows in the ArcMap interface
You will work with bathymetry data and metadata from two windows within ArcMap: the Explore Bathymetry and the Compose Surface windows. The Explore Bathymetry window allows you to filter bathymetric datasets, and the Compose Surface window allows you to order datasets and combine them according to specified rules and export surfaces.
Bathymetry Solution contains geoprocessing tools that are accessible from the Bathymetry toolbox. The geoprocessing toolbox includes tools for automating the process of loading Bathymetry datasets into a BIS with the Data Registration toolset, automating the process of saving a surface model with the Data Management toolset, exporting information such as depth points, data areas and metadata from a surface model or BIS with the Data Export toolset, and thinning the density of a point feature class on the basis of depth with the Analysis toolset.
Integration with the Nautical Information System (NIS)
The Bathymetry toolbox includes several geoprocessing tools that link BIS data with the Nautical Information System (NIS), the ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting central geodatabase for managing all product features. The Export Points tool exports deconflicted depth points from a point surface model and stores them in a point feature class. These exported points can then be thinned to chart density using the Reduce Point Density tool. This will assist and complement the manual effort generally undertaken by a cartographer to preserve only those soundings needed for a nautical chart of a particular scale. These thinned soundings can then be adapted to the NIS schema or charting data models.