ArcGIS Bathymetry is an ArcGIS Desktop extension used to manage postprocessed gridded and vector bathymetry data and metadata from a central geodatabase, referred to as the Bathymetric Information System (BIS). The BIS allows you to interact with and manage large volumes of raster and point data using the ArcGIS Desktop platform.
Bathymetry Solution manages your bathymetry data, locally or on a shared network drive, which can be used to create composite surface models. These models can be used to create 3D point data for navigational products, to spatially analyze the surface, and to share content over the web as an image service.
Additional metadata can be defined and assigned to each dataset managed by the system, allowing you to query bathymetry datasets based on their metadata values. Sorting rules based on the metadata values can then be configured to specify the rendering order of datasets in a composite surface model. When a composite surface model is saved, it is stored in a workspace of your choice and can be referenced in geoprocessing tools or shared over the web as an image service.
Raster data management
Bathymetry Solution supports raster bathymetry data in one- or two-band raster format and allows you to do the following:
- Reference externally stored raster data in a mosaic dataset, eliminating duplicate raster data storage between a geodatabase and a file system.
- Manage hydrographic survey metadata and ancillary information, such as survey area, data collection equipment, survey vessel, tidal adjustment reports, sound velocity cast reports, survey logs, and other supporting information. Additional metadata is completely configurable, allowing it to fit any information an organization captures.
- View and use your data's existing internal metadata for Bathymetric Attributed Grids (.bag files).
Point data management
Bathymetry Solution supports point bathymetry data and allows you to do the following:
- Reference externally stored point feature classes in a geodatabase and create proxy rasters, allowing you to visualize and manage point and raster datasets using mosaic dataset technology.
- Associate and customize extended metadata information for each dataset to meet your organization’s needs.
- Extract points from the composite surface models linked to their original datasets within the BIS geodatabase to simplify the management of point datasets.
Data querying and sorting
Bathymetry Solution supports querying and sorting of bathymetry data and allows you to do the following:
- Filter and visualize bathymetry data in ArcMap using the Explore Bathymetry window.
- Generate custom surfaces interactively using combinations of attribute or spatial filters within the Compose Surface window.
- Prioritize the display order of bathymetry data to display the newest or most accurate data; for example, the most accurate data is displayed at the top of the surface model in areas of overlap.