- ArcGIS Engine includes many components. See the What's included for a list of ArcGIS Engine components.
- Review the system requirements for the component.
- Administrative privileges are required for installing.
- On Windows, the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is required for installing ArcGIS Engine.
- Download and install the component. If upgrading, review Upgrading to ArcGIS 10.3.1.
- Obtain your software authorization numbers and authorize the software. If using a Concurrent Use license, you will need an ArcGIS 10.3.1 License Manager, which can be used for all ArcGIS 10.x Concurrent Use licenses. See the ArcGIS License Manager quick start guide and the License Manager reference guide for more information.
Visit ArcGIS for Desktop for access to additional resources such as documentation and support.
ArcGIS Engine 10.3.1 includes the following components:
- ArcGIS Uninstall Utility- Utility to assist in removing ArcGIS products prior to 10.1 in preparation for installing ArcGIS 10.3.1.
- ArcGIS Engine (Windows and Linux)- Component that supports the creation of GIS and Mapping applications.
- ArcGIS Engine Background Geoprocessing (64-bit)- Installation for background geoprocessing in 64-bit.
- Database Server (Desktop)- Installation for SQL Server Express instance to store geodatabases.
- ArcGIS License Manager (Windows and Linux)- This version is required to run ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Desktop and Engine with Concurrent Use licensing. It also supports all other ArcGIS 10.x Concurrent Use releases.
Additional licensed extensions available as separate downloads:
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability for Desktop - Enables ArcGIS to read and process over 115 GIS and CAD formats supported by Safe Software's FME.
Developer tools available with ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit:
- ArcObjects SDK for Microsoft .NET Framework - Documentation and sample code for Microsoft .NET Framework developers customizing and extending ArcGIS Engine, ArcGIS for Desktop, and ArcGIS for Server.
- ArcObjects SDK for Java- Documentation, tools, and sample code for Java Platform developers customizing and extending ArcGIS Engine, ArcGIS for Desktop, and ArcGIS for Server.
- ArcObjects SDK for Cross Platform C++- Documentation and sample code for C++ developers customizing and extending ArcGIS Engine.
The following are also available with ArcGIS Engine and can be found under the Additional Products download section.
- DBMS Support Files- Client libraries and databases to be used to directly connect to geodatabases.
- Data and Maps for ArcGIS- Many types of map data at many scales of geography. The HTML-based Help system found within this ISO contains information about Data & Maps including a complete list of the redistribution rights for each dataset.
Language Packs - Available Summer 2015:
ArcGIS Engine (Windows) is available as a localized setup. Language pack setups are also available to apply additional languages to existing installations of this component.
Upgrading to ArcGIS 10.3.1
- The ArcGIS 10.3.1 setup package is designed to detect and upgrade an existing installation of the same ArcGIS product. The settings for the installation location, license manager (for Concurrent Use), or authorization information (for Single Use) are retained in the upgrade. See the installation guide for more information on installation upgrades, new installations, or installations over versions prior to 10.1, which are not supported by the upgrade process.
- Existing ArcGIS 10.1-10.3 authorization numbers will work with ArcGIS 10.3.1.
- ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Single Use: If ArcGIS 10.3.1 will be installed on a machine that is different from where a previous ArcGIS 10.x product is currently installed and you wish to use the existing ArcGIS 10.1-10.3 authorization number for ArcGIS 10.3.1, the previous ArcGIS 10.x product must first be deauthorized before authorizing ArcGIS 10.3.1.
Obtaining software authorization numbers
If needed, your account's primary maintenance contact can obtain authorization numbers from the My Esri site. After signing in with your Esri Account, click My Organizations > Licensing > Authorizations . Click a product name to obtain its authorization number. You can also click on 'Show Filter Options' and type in the name of the product.
The license version on authorizations eligible for use with ArcGIS 10.3.1 will display as 10.1 – 10.3.1 under Authorizations. For those outside the United States, contact your local distributor for information about your authorization numbers.
Upgrading ArcGIS 10.0 licenses to 10.3.1
For existing ArcGIS 10.0 users, automatic license upgrade functionality allows for an easy license upgrade process. Instead of deauthorizing older licenses and authorizing the latest version, you can convert your existing 10.0 licenses to 10.3.1 using the one-step upgrade option.
- Uninstall the ArcGIS 10.0 product without deauthorizing your existing licenses.
- Install the ArcGIS 10.3.1 product.
- On completion of the ArcGIS 10.3.1 Engine Developer Kit installation, click Authorize. You will be prompted to upgrade your license if 10.0 licenses are already present. For ArcGIS 10.3.1 Engine, you will need to launch the ArcGIS Administrator. Follow the instructions to complete the upgrade process.
Authorize ArcGIS 10.3.1 Engine Developer Kit and ArcGIS Engine
- Recommended: Use an Internet connection to complete the authorization steps below.
- If you do not have an Internet connection for the machine on which you intend to install the software, you can authorize the software via email or via the My Esri site.
- If you want to facilitate the authorization process or authorize silently, a provisioning file generated from the Authorizing and Provisioning portal on the My Esri site can be used.
- After the installation, open the ArcGIS Administrator wizard.
- Select the desired Single Use product.
- Select the ArcGIS Engine (Single Use) option if you only need to run Engine applications.
- Select the ArcGIS Engine and ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit (Single Use) option if you need to develop and run Engine applications.
- Click Authorize Now.
- Select the default option I have installed my software and need to authorize it.
- Select Authorize with Esri now using the Internet. If using a provisioning file, select the option I have received an authorization file from Esri and browse to the file.
- Enter your personal information where applicable.
- Enter your core product authorization number (ESUxxxxxxxxx). See the Authorizations page on the My Esri site to obtain this if you do not have this number available to you.
- Enter the authorization numbers for extensions if applicable. For extensions not listed, manually type in the extension name and the authorization number.
- Click Finish after the authorization process is complete.
- Click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator. Your software is now ready for use.
Authorizing additional extensions for ArcGIS Engine Single Use
This applies if you have already authorized your ArcGIS 10.3.1 Engine Single Use software and wish to authorize additional extensions later. Follow the steps for Authorizing ArcGIS Engine Developer Kit and Engine Single Use, and at step 3, select I have already authorized the software and need to authorize additional extensions. Step 6 will not be applicable. At step 7, you will be given the opportunity to enter your authorization numbers for the applicable extensions.
Defining the License Manager
- After completing the ArcGIS Engine installation, open the ArcGIS Administrator wizard.
- Select ArcGIS Engine (Concurrent Use) in the ArcGIS Administrator wizard and specify the name of your license manager.
- Once you have set your license manager, click OK to close the ArcGIS Administrator wizard. Your software is now ready for use.