Available with Standard or Advanced license.
During the feature collection process, you might need to create bridges on roads to represent overpasses or other bridge structures. The Make Bridge tool allows you to create a bridge directly over a single road feature, then transfers the attributes of the road feature to the bridge. The road feature is also updated so it is categorized as "Above Surface", if needed.
Depending on the data model you are using, various values are transferred to the bridge, for example, the Condition of Facility value and the name of the road. Attribute values that must be consistent between the road and bridge feature, such as the road surface type and weather type category, are updated for both features to comply with extraction guidance.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, load data in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Defense Mapping.
- Choose a bridge feature class.
- Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
- Select one or more road features.
- Click the Make Bridge button on the Defense Mapping toolbar.
The Make Bridge message appears and notifies you of the number of bridges that have been created.
- Click OK to close the message.
A bridge feature appears, along with the road feature, on the Update tab tree view on the Manage Features window.