The Topographic Data Store (TDS) geodatabase has many relationships for feature-level and attribute-level metadata. You can create and manage relationships between topographic features and the metadata tables with the TDS Metadata toolbar and the metadata favorites that are accessed through the toolbar.
Favorites are feature-level and related metadata information for a specific combination of the metadata. Once you have a favorite, you can create and edit data and automatically apply the favorite that stores the appropriate metadata. You can also apply the metadata favorite to existing features after a favorite is created.
Setting up the environment
You will need the TDS Metadata toolbar, which is enabled if you have the TDS metadata tables in the TDS geodatabase, and start an edit session.
- Start ArcMap.
- Load data from the TDS geodatabase.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > TDS Metadata.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
- Click the Toggle TDS Metadata Extension button on the TDS Metadata toolbar.
This turns on the TDS editing extension so that metadata can be applied to the features. When it is on, the red x icon turns into a green check mark .
- Click the TDS Metadata Selected Favorite drop-down arrow and choose an existing favorite.
The metadata values of the favorite you choose will be used to populate the features you create or edit.
The TDS Metadata toolbar is enabled.
Applying metadata when creating or editing features
When the Toggle TDS Metadata Extension tool is enabled, you can create or edit features and the metadata of the selected favorite will automatically be applied.
Perform one of the following and the metadata will be applied automatically.
To create a feature
Click the tool you need to create a line, point, or polygon and create the feature in the data frame.
To edit a feature
Click the tool you need to edit the feature and reshape as appropriate.
Applying metadata to existing features
You can add metadata to existing features that only need the metadata updated by applying a favorite with the appropriate metadata.
- Select the features for which you want to apply metadata favorites.
- Click the Apply Favorite To Selected Set button on the TDS Metadata toolbar.
The Apply Favorite To Selected Set progress dialog box appears. Once the process completes, the features will be populated with the metadata values from the favorite you selected.
- Click OK when the process completes.