In defense data, it is common to have instances in which a road feature ends when there is a bridge that overlays it. When this occurs, there may be a road feature that should be continuous but is instead divided by a bridge.
The Create Elevated Segments tool creates the underlying feature for the bridge based on the Transportation Use Category (TUC) or Transportation System Type (TRS) attribute value for the bridge. Using this tool, you can create a road, railroad, canal, or pedestrian bridge feature. For example, if you have a bridge feature that is surrounded by a road, you can use the tool to create a road feature beneath the bridge that is part of the road network.
- Start ArcMap.
- Load the following layers in the table of contents, as appropriate:
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Editing.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Defense Mapping.
- Click the Production Start Editing button on the Production Editing toolbar.
- If necessary, choose a bridge target feature class.
- Select one or more bridge features in the map.
- Click the Update tab on the Manage Features window.
- Right-click the bridge feature class on the Update tab tree view and click Keep Selected.
Only the bridge features are selected.
- Click the Create Elevated Segments button on the Defense Mapping toolbar.
Based on the value in the TUC or TRS field, new features are created.