You can rename a table or feature class in ArcMap or ArcCatalog by right-clicking it in the Catalog tree, clicking Rename, and typing a new name.
The following conditions apply:
- If the table is in a database or enterprise, workgroup, or desktop geodatabase, you must connect as the table owner to rename it.
- DB2 does not allow tables to be renamed if the tables have a referential constraint defined on them.
Be aware that you cannot use third-party software, such as an SQL client, to rename a geodatabase feature class because it does not update the table name in the geodatabase system tables.
- Start ArcMap and open the Catalog window or start ArcCatalog.
- Connect to the geodatabase or database.
- Right-click the table or feature class and click Rename.
The name is highlighted.
- Type a new name.
Names must start with a letter and cannot exceed the maximum number of characters the DBMS allows for table names.