There are several ways to add datasets to a geodatabase using ArcMap and the Catalog tree:
- Creating new datasets —You can create new datasets in the Catalog tree.
- Copy and Paste —You can copy a dataset and paste it into another location.
- Importing datasets —You can import datasets into a geodatabase.
- Exporting datasets —You can export a dataset directly to a geodatabase or to an XML workspace or XML recordset.
- Loading data —You can load data into an existing table or feature class using the Simple Data Loader from the Catalog tree, the ArcMap Object Loader, or via XML recordset and XML workspace documents.
ArcGIS for Desktop contains tools that import data from a wide variety of formats into the geodatabase. Here are some of the commonly imported data types and where you can find more information.
Importing data into the geodatabase
|External Data Types||Import Tasks|
ArcInfo Workstation coverages
Computer-aided drafting (CAD) files