- Enable the Maplex Label Engine.
- Click the Label Manager button on the Labeling toolbar.
- Check the check box next to the layer you want to label.
- Choose a label class under the layer.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Label Position tab.
- Click the Internal Zones button.
- Type a search order value between 1 and 9 for each zone.
- Optionally, set a label offset.
- Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
If this button is not activated, ensure that Regular Placement is chosen from the drop-down list and check the Place label at fixed position within polygon check box.
Each zone should have a unique value between 1 and 9. You can block one or more zones from consideration by typing a search order value of 0 for the zone.