Available with 3D Analyst license.
You can create new multipatch features by placing 3D models interactively into the 3D view. The Insert construction tool only becomes active with multipatch targeted layers, and the supported model types include SketchUp, COLLADA, OpenFlight, VRML, and Studio Max. The newly created multipatches are stored inside the geodatabase.
To use the Insert construction tool to add 3D models to your view, do the following:
- Add an empty or populated multipatch feature class into ArcScene or ArcGlobe.
- Begin a 3D edit session by clicking the 3D Editor drop-down menu and click Start Editing.
- Click the Edit Placement tool on the 3D Editor toolbar.
- Click the multipatch feature in the Create Features window.
- Select the Insert tool under Construction Tools.
- Click the desired location of the multipatch model in the 3D view.
- When prompted, navigate to the location of the supported 3D model file on disk.
- Select the model and click Open.
- To add more than one multipatch feature to the view, do the following:
Using the same model
Continue to click, placing the same model at desired locations.
Switching to use another model
With the active Insert tool in the view, right-click, and the Open dialog box will appear so you can browse to a different 3D model. Select the new model and begin again placing the model in the 3D view.
- Click the 3D Editor menu and click Save Edits.