Available with Business Analyst license.
MapBooks are predefined map templates for creating a series of layout pages from a single map document. A feature layer, or index layer, divides the map into sections based on each index feature in the layer and generates one page per index feature. MapBooks are ideal for distributing presentation-quality maps that span multiple geographic areas or regions.
MapBooks illustrate how you can adapt the Map Series report using a Python script to customize the report.
This should only be considered as an example of Python and Business Analyst Reporting capabilities. Unlike a regular Map Series report, the script also captures features from a specified demographic layer that intersects ones from the boundaries layer. For example, a map can be generated for a trade area feature, and a second map image will be created for the first County feature that is intersected by the trade area.
You can edit the Python script that is provided to further enhance the map series tool in Business Analyst to suit your needs.
- Boundary Layer—Define the boundary layer used to create the main map series report. For example, you can define a Business Analyst trade area layer, and a map will be created for each trade area feature.
- Boundary ID Field—Define the unique ID field for the boundary layer. This will likely be ID if you are using a Business Analyst trade area layer.
- Boundary Header Field—Define the field that will be used as header text for each report. For example, you can use the Area Description field for a Business Analyst trade area layer.
- Demographic Layer—Define the layer that you want to intersect with the Boundary Layer. The first feature that intersects the Boundary layer will be used as the extent for another page in the map series report. As an example, a map can be generated for a trade area feature, and a second map image will be created for the first County feature that is intersected by the trade area.
- Report Template—Define the Business Analyst report template to be used to produce the report. By default, this will be the standard landscape report template.
- Output Folder—Specify the output folder path where the map series report and related files will be created.