Available with Production Mapping license.
There are typically many contour values in a database. This makes it difficult to render the contours based on their values because there would be several unique values. However, contours are predictable, and therefore, a repeating pattern of symbols can be assigned and still have meaning. The default pattern of the five repeating symbols used can be customized. This repeating pattern can also help with validating the contours. When you notice the color of the lines is out of order, this may be an indication that a contour line is missing or the elevation value is populated incorrectly.
- Start ArcMap.
- Load contour layers in the map.
- On the main menu, click Customize > Toolbars > Production Contouring.
- Click the Contour Symbology Options button on the Production Contouring Tools toolbar.
The Contour Symbolizer Options dialog box appears.
- Click the symbol for the first value.
The Symbol Selector dialog box appears.
- Choose a symbol and click OK.
- Repeat steps 5–6 for the remaining symbols.
- Click OK.
- Click the Symbolize Contours button on the Production Contouring toolbar.
The contour lines are symbolized using the values in the elevation field set on the Contour Field Name Options dialog box. The values are rendered according to the pattern you set on the Contour Symbology Options dialog box.