By default, the first time you launch the Generate New Schematic Diagram command for a given MXD file, the suggested schematic datasets in the Schematic Dataset or Schematic Folder drop-down list are the following:
- All the schematic datasets stored in the geodatabases from which GIS features are currently displayed in the MXD file
- All the schematic datasets or folders related to the currently opened schematic diagrams
When no schematic dataset is found, the default schematic dataset contained in the default schematic database is suggested. This default database, Schematic Personal Geodatabase.mdb, should have been installed in the ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Schematics\Database folder during the Schematics extension installation. The database is then copied and renamed as SchematicDatabase.mdb into the current's user's Documents and Settings location under Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\Schematics the first time it is needed. If a Schematics version prior to 10 was installed on your machine, please read the About the default schematic databases on machines where Schematics versions prior to 10 are installed section below.
If the schematic dataset you want to work with is not in this list, click the browse button to the right of this field to browse and select the desired schematic dataset.
About default schematic databases on machines where Schematics versions prior to 10 are installed
If a version prior to 10 of Schematics was installed on your machine, the SchematicDatabase.mdb default schematic database under Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\Schematics in your Documents and Settings location may be an old schematic database version in which the Schematics operations will be now limited. For example, existing schematic diagrams stored in it can still be opened and edited, but it will be impossible to save diagram edits, update them, and generate new diagrams in this schematic database.
If you don't want to keep the diagrams stored in this schematic database, you only have to remove it. Schematics will automatically re-create a new default schematic database the first time it is needed.
If you want to keep the diagrams stored in this schematic database and have the possibility to work with them in the same way you did with previous Schematics versions, you need to migrate the schematic dataset. Here are the steps you need to follow for migrating the old schematic dataset:
- Start ArcCatalog.
- Navigate to the Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\Schematics folder in your Documents and Settings.
- Right-click the SchematicDatabase.mdb geodatabase, click New, then click Schematic Dataset.
- Right-click this new schematic dataset and click Rename.
- Rename the default NewSchematicDataset to Temp10.
- Right-click the DefaultSchematicDataset schematic dataset and click Migrate to the current Schematics version.
The Migrate to the current Schematics version dialog box opens.
- Click the browse button at the right of the Output Geodatabase or Schematic Dataset field and browse to and select the Temp10 schematic dataset you have just created in the SchematicDatabase.mdb geodatabase.
- Choose the Definitions and diagrams option and click OK.
- At the end of the migration process, close the Migrate to the current Schematics version dialog box.
- Start ArcMap and check that the migrated diagrams now stored in Temp10 can be correctly opened, edited, saved, updated, and so on.
- In the Catalog window, delete the DefaultSchematicDataset schematic dataset.
- Rename the Temp10 schematic dataset to DefaultSchematicDataset.