A spatial reference is the georeferencing and coordinate system assigned to any geographic data.
Schematic feature classes also have a spatial reference that defines the coordinate system: the x,y domain for the schematic features. Schematic feature class spatial references are used to store the geometry of the schematic features.
A schematic feature class can have any spatial reference. But when a schematic feature class is associated with a geographic feature class, they usually both have the same spatial references. This always happens when schematic feature classes are created using the Import from feature layers and Import from feature classes/tables functions. In that case, the spatial reference specified for the imported feature layer/class automatically becomes the spatial reference for the associated schematic feature classes that are created during the process.
The following section explains how to set or modify the spatial reference on a schematic feature class. This operation is done in ArcCatalog.
- Start ArcCatalog.
- Navigate through the Catalog tree and select the schematic dataset that contains the desired schematic feature class.
- Right-click this schematic dataset in the Catalog tree and point to Show/Hide Schematic Classes.
New main branches, one for each schematic diagram template in the schematic dataset, automatically appear in the Catalog tree. They are displayed with a plus sign (+) in the Catalog tree:
- Click the plus sign related to the diagram template with which the schematic feature class is associated.
New subbranches are displayed, one per schematic feature class associated with the diagram template:
- Right-click the entry corresponding to the schematic diagram template on which you want to specify a spatial reference and click Properties.
The Schematic Feature Class Properties dialog box opens:
- If it is not already active, click the XY Coordinate System tab.
- You can specify a coordinate system for your schematic feature class in several ways; that is, select one of the predefined coordinate systems provided with ArcCatalog; import the coordinate system parameters used by another data source; or define a new, custom coordinate system. These methods are detailed in step 6 in "Specifying the schematic diagram template spatial reference."
- Click OK on the Schematic Feature Class Properties dialog box.
The spatial reference of the schematic feature class is now set.