Prior to initiating a workflow, you might want to verify that the loaded task assistant workflow will execute correctly. The Validate Workflow button on the Task Manager toolbar allows you to verify the configuration information stored in a task assistant workflow with the current ArcMap session.
The Validate Workflow tool verifies the following for each step:
- Whether layer names match
- If commands are available
- Whether layers and feature templates are available
The Validate Results dialog box appears if errors exist. This dialog box provides you limited capabilities for fixing errors; specifically, only layer, data frame, and template errors can be fixed using this dialog box.
Once validation is complete, you can use the Reset Workflow tool to clear the results of the task assistant workflow validation. This unchecks all check boxes in the Task Assistant window.
Task Assistant users have limited options for fixing errors. In most situations, users should speak to the person responsible for designing the workflow to ensure that they have the correct MXD/workflow pair and that all required custom components have been installed on their machine. This will usually solve most of the validation errors.
However, the Fix Error button can be used by advanced Task Assistant users to resolve data frame, layer, and template errors. Ensure that the appropriate error is current on the Validate Results dialog box and click the Fix Error button. A further dialog box is displayed, providing the user with options to resolve the error.
After all possible errors have been fixed, revalidation can occur by clicking either the Validate button on the dialog box or the Validate Workflow button on the Task Manager toolbar.
- Start ArcMap.
- If necessary, click the Task Assistant button on the Task Manager toolbar to display the Task Assistant window.
- Open a task assistant workflow.
- Click the Validate Workflow button on the Task Manager toolbar.
One of the following messages appear:
- If invalid information is present, the Validate Results dialog box appears.
- If all information is valid, the Workflow Validation message appears.
- Click Close on the Validate Results message box or OK on the Workflow Validation message.
- Click the Reset Workflow button on the Task Manager toolbar to clear the validation results.