The license manager allows you to install ArcGIS Desktop and on as many machines as you want. The number of licenses purchased determines the number of users who can run the products simultaneously. You can purchase licenses for Desktop Advanced, Desktop Standard, and Desktop Basic.
The license manager can be installed on a machine where ArcGIS Concurrent Use versions will be run or on a machine where only the license manager will be installed. Other ArcGIS installations will define that license manager after the installation process.
To install and authorize your license manager, you will need to use the authorization information that you received by email from Esri Customer Service when you purchased your product.
License manager requirements
The License Manager communicates through TCP/IP, which must be installed and functioning properly on any Windows license server. TCP/IP requires either a network card, along with its drivers, or the Microsoft Loopback Adapter installed on your Windows workstation.
How to install the license manager
For more information about installing, using, or troubleshooting the license manager, see the License Manager Reference Guide, lmrefguide.htm, available in the Documentation folder of the ArcGIS Desktop media.
To install only the license manager, follow these steps:
- Log into the computer as a user with administrative privileges.
- Close all applications on your computer.
- Log into MyEsri and choose the License Manager download option. The license manager will download and run the setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. The ArcGIS License Manager provides you with the ability to choose where you want to install the license manager. On Windows, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\LicenseManager. On Linux, the default installation location is $HOME/arcgis/licensemanager.
- Once you have completed the license manager installation, you can use the ArcGIS License Server Administrator to authorize licenses for the license manager.
Click Authorization in the table of contents and click the Authorize Now button to launch the Software Authorization Wizard.
- Follow the instructions on the dialog box to complete the authorization process.
- Click Finish to close the wizard and return to License Server Administrator.
Once you have completed the license manager installation, you can supply the license manager information to those users installing ArcGIS Desktop. They can browse to this network license manager when prompted for the license manager machine after their ArcGIS Desktop installation.
For more information about using or troubleshooting the license manager, see the License Manager Reference Guide, lmrefguide.htm, available in the Documentation folder of the ArcGIS Desktop media kit. After installing the license manager, this guide is also available from Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager > License Manager Reference Guide or in the installation folder, C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Licensemanager\Documentation\lmrefguide.htm. On Linux machines, the License Manager Reference Guide can be accessed from $HOME/arcgis/licensemanager/documentation/lmrefguide.htm.