ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 is considered a major release. Some of the significant changes in this release include decreased compatibility between ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Desktop. This includes ArcMap, ArcReader, and ArcGIS Engine clients, as well as ArcObjects SDK.
Side-by-side installation of ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop may differ based on the version you are using for each product:
ArcGIS Server 10.9 and 11.0 cannot be installed on the same machine as any version of ArcGIS Desktop, ArcReader, and ArcGIS Engine clients.
ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 can be installed on the same machine as ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.2. This includes ArcReader and ArcGIS Engine clients.
ArcGIS Server 10.8.1 and 10.8 can be installed on the same machine as ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1 and 10.8. This includes ArcReader and ArcGIS Engine clients.
ArcGIS Enterprise workflows and ArcMap
At the Enterprise 11.0 release, ArcMap-based workflows are no longer supported in ArcGIS Enterprise. The 11.0 software includes the ArcGIS Pro-based runtime and no longer includes the ArcMap-based service runtime.
Learn more about your options to migrate services
This change may impact your workflows, as it means the following workflows are no longer supported:
- Start services that were created from ArcMap-based runtime
- Administer or publish services from ArcMap. Creating publisher or administrator connections to ArcGIS Server is no longer supported. The experience when attempting to add a GIS Server will differ depending on which of the following configurations is being accessed:
- Stand-alone GIS server through port:6443
- Stand-alone GIS server through ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- Federated GIS server
- Use ArcGIS Server Manager to publish an .sd file that originated from ArcMap
- Build or consume ArcObjects SOEs and SOIs
See the following for information about previous releases of ArcGIS Desktop and compatibility changes with ArcGIS Enterprise for 10.9 and 10.9.1: