Available with Standard or Advanced license.
Enterprise geodatabases use log file tables to maintain lists of selected records. Records are written to log file tables for later use by the application in the following situations:
- You (or a tool or other process you run) create a selection set of a specific size—more than 100 records in ArcMap; more than 1,000 records in ArcGIS Pro; more than 1,000 records when Object IDs are requested from a feature service.
- You reconcile or post to a versioned geodatabase.
- A client application checks out data for disconnected editing.
You can alter log file settings for geodatabases in IBM Db2 and IBM Informix.
Geodatabases in Db2 use shared log file tables by default. For a description of shared log file tables and other log file table options, see Log file table options for geodatabases in Db2.
As the geodatabase administrator, you can connect to the geodatabase in ArcGIS Desktop and run the Configure Geodatabase Log File Tables tool to change log file table settings, or run a Python script that does the same thing.
Run the Configure Geodatabase Log File Tables tool
If you need to change the log file table configuration for your enterprise geodatabase, you can run the Configure Geodatabase Log File Tables tool. This tool can be found in the Geodatabase Administration toolset of the Data Management toolbox.
- Open the Configure Geodatabase Log File Tables tool.
This tool is in the Geodatabase Administration toolset of the Data Management toolbox.
- Specify the database connection you created in the previous section.
- Choose the log file table options to set for your geodatabase.
- Click OK to run the tool.
Use ArcPy functions
You can create a connection to the geodatabase using the CreateDatabaseConnection_management function and run the ConfigureGeodatabaseLogFileTables_management function directly from a Python window, or create and run a script that contains them both.
To run directly from a Python window, follow these steps:
- Open a Python window.
- Run CreateDatabaseConnection_management, connecting as the sde user. Save the user name and password with the file.
import arcpy arcpy.CreateDatabaseConnection_management("/admin/users/arcgis/connections", "mygdb.sde", "DB2", "db2db","DATABASE_AUTH", "sde", "t7gw0dw", "SAVE_USERNAME")
- Run ConfigureGeodatabaseLogFileTables_management to change the type of log file tables that are used to cache selection sets.
In this example, the geodatabase will be using session-based log file tables owned by the geodatabase administrator. There will be 50 log file tables owned by the geodatabase administrator.
import arcpy input_database = "c:\\connections\\mygdb.sde" log_file_type = "SESSION_LOG_FILE" log_file_pool_size = 50 arcpy.ConfigureGeodatabaseLogFileTables_management(input_database,log_file_type,log_file_pool_size)