Available with Standard or Advanced license.
Prior to 10.7 and ArcGIS Pro 2.3, you could create multiple geodatabases in one Oracle database by creating geodatabases in the schemas of users other than sde. For this reason, these geodatabases are referred to as user-schema geodatabases. These geodatabases contain their own geodatabase system tables.
User-schema geodatabases are not entirely self-contained, though; some functionality, such as user-defined types, are only implemented in the geodatabase in the sde user's schema. That means the following:
- You cannot upgrade a user-schema geodatabase while the sde geodatabase is being upgraded. Schema owners upgrade their geodatabases after the sde user upgrades the sde geodatabase. Each schema owner must be granted privileges to upgrade.
- You must upgrade the sde geodatabase before you upgrade geodatabases in user schemas. You will receive the following message if you try to upgrade a user-schema geodatabase before upgrading the sde geodatabase:
Cannot upgrade a user schema geodatabase when the master schema geodatabase is at a previous release. The master schema geodatabase must be upgraded first. ERROR: Geodatabase schema object install not completed.
- You must make a backup of the entire database; creating a backup of only a user's schema does not include the user-defined types and functions.
It is recommended that you keep all the geodatabases in the same Oracle instance at the same ArcGIS release, but you do not have to upgrade all the user-schema geodatabases in the Oracle database.
The following steps explain how to upgrade a user-schema geodatabase using the Upgrade Geodatabase tool opened from the Database Properties dialog box:
- Make sure a backup has been made of the entire Oracle database.
- Follow the instructions to prepare for an upgrade.
- Make sure the sde geodatabase is already upgraded.
- Start the ArcGIS Desktop application from which you want to upgrade your user-schema geodatabase.
- Connect to the user-schema geodatabase you want to upgrade. Log in as the schema owner.
- Right-click the geodatabase connection and click Properties.
- Click the General tab.
If the geodatabase can be upgraded, the Upgrade Geodatabase button (ArcMap) or Run Upgrade button (ArcGIS Pro) is active.
- Click the Upgrade Geodatabase button (ArcMap) or Run Upgrade (ArcGIS Pro) button to run the Upgrade Geodatabase tool.
- If the geodatabase passes the prequisites check and you left the Upgrade Geodatabase option checked, the tool proceeds with the upgrade. The prequisite check and upgrade status are displayed in the geoprocessing tool progress dialog box. If the upgrade fails, the tool writes information to the GDBUpgrade.log. Additional information is written to the sde_setup.log file, which can be found in the system TEMP directory.
- When the tool successfully completes, click Close to close the geoprocessing tool progress dialog box.
Your geodatabase is upgraded to the latest release.