- Click the Find button on the ArcMap Tools toolbar.
The Find dialog box appears.
- Click the Locations tab.
- From the Choose a locator list, choose the locator that you want to use to find the address.
- Type the input address in the text boxes and click Find or press ENTER to search for candidates.
If candidates are found, candidates that meet or exceed the minimum candidate score are shown in the lower portion of the dialog box.
- If no good candidates are found, check the Show all candidates check box to see all the candidates the locator generated.
- To search in the current map extent, add a feature class to the map or add a map from ArcGIS Online and zoom to the area you want to search. Check the Use Map Extent check box and click Find.
- If you want to modify the geocoding settings of the locator to find more matches, click the Options button. On the Geocoding Options dialog box that appears, edit the Minimum candidate score value and click OK.
- Right-click the candidate you want to match the address to and click one of the options available on the menu. For example:
- Flash to flash the location of the candidate
- Zoom To to show the location of the candidate in a more detailed map
- Pan To to pan the map to the geocoded point if the location is not on the current map extent
- Create Bookmark to set a spatial bookmark for the candidate's location
- Add Point to add a graphic point to the map at the candidate's location
- Click Cancel to close the Find dialog box.
If the locator you want does not appear in the list, click the browse button to find the locator.
If the locator you are using covers a large area and too many candidates may be returned, you can limit the search for candidates within the current map extent.
If your search returns no candidate or wrong candidates, you can review and edit the standardized address to improve the search. Click the Show Standardization button to open the Edit Standardization dialog box and edit the value in the standardization fields. When you make edits on the Edit Standardization dialog box, the address is searched and the list of candidates is updated automatically.