Available with Standard or Advanced license.
The Analyze Datasets geoprocessing tool (located in the Geodatabase Administration toolset of the Data Management toolbox) can be used to update statistics on the business tables, delta tables, and historical archive tables of datasets, along with the statistics on the indexes associated with those tables.
When you update the statistics for a feature dataset, statistics for all the feature classes in that feature dataset are updated. If the feature dataset contains a geometric network, the network tables are also updated.
You should update statistics after a compress operation, after you add or remove topology rules, and after you have finished importing, loading, or copying data into an enterprise geodatabase.
The Analyze Datasets geoprocessing tool shows a list of the datasets you own and, therefore, can analyze for the database specified as the Input Database.
As the data owner, you have three options to specify for the tables and feature classes that you have chosen from the Datasets to Analyze list on the Analyze Datasets tool:
- Base tables: The base (or business) table is the table where all your attributes are stored. Choosing this option updates the statistics on the base tables for each dataset.
- Delta tables: Delta tables are the adds and deletes tables present on versioned datasets. Choosing this option updates the statistics on the delta tables of versioned feature classes or tables.
- Archive tables: The archive table is the archive class that is created to store changes saved or posted to the DEFAULT version of the geodatabase for a feature class when you enable archiving on it. Choosing this option updates statistics on the archive class for archive-enabled feature classes or tables.
If you connect to the geodatabase as the geodatabase administrator, you can also update statistics on the geodatabase system tables.
You can also use the Analyze Datasets tool to update statistics on database tables. In that case, of course, geodatabase-specific options on the tool are disabled, and statistics are only updated for the datasets you choose to analyze.
To open the Analyze Datasets tool from the Catalog tree in ArcCatalog or ArcMap and update dataset statistics, do the following:
- Start ArcMap or ArcCatalog and connect to the database as the owner of the data for which you want to update statistics.
- Open the Analyze Datasets geoprocessing tool.
Use the Search window to find the tool and open it, or navigate to the tool in the Geodatabase Administration toolset in the Data Management toolbox.
- Use the database connection file you created in step 1 as the input workspace.
- From the Datasets to Analyze list, choose the tables, feature classes, feature datasets, raster catalogs, raster datasets, or mosaic datasets for which you want to update statistics.
- Click outside the Datasets to Analyze box to change focus for the tool.
- Check which tables' statistics you want to update for this dataset: the base table, delta tables, or archive tables. Uncheck the tables you do not want analyzed at this time.
If you are unsure which tables to analyze—for example, if you don't know if a feature class is versioned or not or if it is enabled for archiving or not—you can leave all three options checked. The tool will not fail if the tables are not present.
- Click OK to run the tool.