Export metadata from the Metadata toolbar as part of a routine operation for publishing the most current version of your metadata.
- In the ArcCatalog Contents tab, press the CTRL key while clicking the ArcGIS items whose metadata you want to export.
- Click the Export Metadata button on the Metadata toolbar.
If one item is selected, the Export Metadata tool opens. If many items are selected, the Export Metadata Multiple tool opens. The Translator parameter is populated with the appropriate value for your metadata style.
- Provide a location and file name, if appropriate, for the stand-alone metadata XML files that will be created.
- In the Export Metadata tool, provide an appropriate Output File name.
- In the Export Metadata Multiple tool, provide an appropriate Output Folder name.
- Click OK.
Stand-alone metadata XML files are created as specified by the Output File or Output Folder parameters. These files will be formatted appropriately for your metadata style.