Validate metadata from the Metadata toolbar as part of a routine operation for publishing the most current version of your metadata.
- In the ArcCatalog Contents tab, press the CTRL key while clicking the ArcGIS items whose metadata you want to validate.
- Click the Validate Metadata button on the Metadata toolbar.
If one item is selected, the Validate Metadata tool opens. If many items are selected, the Validate Metadata Multiple tool opens. The Translator, Schema URL, and Namespace URI parameters are populated with values determined by the metadata style.
- Provide an appropriate location and file name, if appropriate, for the stand-alone metadata XML files that will be created.
- In the Validate Metadata tool, provide an appropriate Output File name.
- In the Validate Metadata Multiple tool, provide an appropriate Output Folder name.
- Click OK.
Stand-alone metadata XML files are created as specified by the tool parameters that are formatted appropriately for your metadata style. These files are then validated appropriately for your metadata style. The tool's messages will indicate if the metadata is valid or if any problems were found.