- In ArcMap, add the layers residing in map coordinates and the raster dataset you want to georeference.
Adding the data with the map coordinate system first is a good workflow so that you do not need to set the data frame coordinate system.
If you do not have a dataset with map coordinates, then you must set the data frame coordinate system before continuing.
- To display the Georeferencing toolbar, click the Customize menu, point to Toolbars, then click Georeferencing.
- In the table of contents, right-click a target layer (the referenced dataset) and click Zoom to Layer.
- Click the View Link Table button on the Georeferencing toolbar.
- Click the Add Control Points tool .
- Click a known location in the unreferenced image to add the first coordinate in the link.
- Right-click the image and click Input X and Y.
- Type the reference coordinates on the Enter Coordinates dialog box.
- Click OK.